Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Sunday forcefully condemned the Trump administration's latest tariffs as an "attack" on Canada, escalating a trade dispute that is already hitting businesses and consumers on both sides of the border.

"In recent days, the United States proposed new terms that were un-economic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits for Canada and called into question the reliability of any deal," Carney told reporters in Toronto. "In short, they asked too much and they offered too little. You're at war when you get attacked. We got attacked."

Read also
International
Vance's Ukraine Energy Warning Ignores Russia's Attacks on US Firms
Vance warns Ukraine over energy strikes, but Russia has repeatedly hit US corporate assets in Ukraine. Experts argue Washington's pressure should be on Moscow.

The 50 percent U.S. tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian goods went into effect early Sunday, authorized under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The new duties bypass exemptions previously granted under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the free trade pact that replaced NAFTA in 2020.

The White House declined to sign a 16-year renewal of the agreement during the 2026 review period, insisting on concessions from both Canada and Mexico. The tariffs now apply to products including dairy, wine, and furniture, directly undermining the core protections of the trade deal.

With negotiations stalled and Canada vowing dollar-for-dollar retaliation, the future of the USMCA is in serious doubt. Carney, a former governor of both the Bank of Canada and the Bank of England, has taken a hard line against the White House, refusing to appear passive in the face of what he calls an unfair economic assault.

"We have recognized from the beginning that America has changed, and that we will not return to our old relationship," Carney said. "Canada has what the world wants. And we will not allow any nation to determine our future."

President Trump, meanwhile, has accused Canada of seeking the benefits of U.S. statehood without accepting its responsibilities. "Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!! They have also charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs. No more!!!" he wrote on Truth Social early Sunday.

The escalating dispute has raised concerns among lawmakers and trade experts about the broader economic fallout. Senator Susan Collins has urged the White House to weigh the consequences as the trade war deepens, while legal challenges to the administration's sweeping tariff authority continue to mount.

Canada has signaled it will impose retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods starting September 8, a move that could further strain cross-border trade. The Canadian government is preparing a dollar-for-dollar response, a step that many analysts say could trigger a prolonged economic standoff.

As the deadline for those countermeasures approaches, Carney's messaging has been unequivocal: Canada will not be pushed into a deal that undermines its interests. Whether the two nations can find common ground before September remains an open question, but the tone from both capitals suggests a difficult road ahead.