Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States and Iran have made headway in ongoing peace negotiations, but reiterated a stark warning from President Donald Trump: the war will be resolved “one way or the other.” Speaking to reporters in New Delhi during a four-day diplomatic trip, Rubio stated, “There’s been some progress made. Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done.”

Rubio’s remarks came as he met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, where the two leaders discussed the Middle East crisis and ways to strengthen the U.S.-India partnership on energy, critical supply chains, and emerging technologies. The visit is part of an effort to repair a relationship strained by Trump’s tariffs and closer U.S. ties to India’s rivals, Pakistan and China. Rubio’s arrival in India for Quad talks underscores the administration’s push to balance competing interests in the region.

Read also
International
Graham Predicts Imminent Cuban Liberation Amid White House Mixed Signals
Sen. Lindsey Graham declared Cuban liberation 'close at hand' on Friday, as the White House both threatens and rules out military action.

The top U.S. diplomat echoed Trump’s core demands: Iran must not develop a nuclear weapon, must halt uranium enrichment, and must reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The waterway’s closure has severely disrupted global oil supply chains, sending fuel prices soaring in India and elsewhere. Rubio hinted that “there may be some news later today” on the war, but did not elaborate.

Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran, threatening to end the 14-day ceasefire reached in April if no deal is struck. However, he recently held off on military strikes, citing “serious negotiations.” The administration has also enlisted two of India’s regional rivals to mediate. At a summit in China last week, Rubio said Washington would try to persuade Chinese President Xi Jinping to take an “active role” in talks. Separately, Pakistan’s army chief visited Tehran, yielding what officials called “slight progress.” Rubio’s assessment of modest gains in the Iran talks reflects the fragile state of diplomacy.

Despite the diplomatic push, tensions remain high. On Saturday morning, Trump posted an edited image on Truth Social showing a map of the Middle East with Iran covered by the U.S. flag, captioned “The United States of the Middle East?” The post drew sharp criticism from Tehran and raised fears of an imminent U.S. military campaign.

The Iran war has compounded a global energy crisis, with fuel prices in India skyrocketing. The U.S.-India meeting in New Delhi aimed to bolster economic cooperation and secure alternative supply routes. Rubio’s visit is part of a broader effort to shore up alliances as the administration navigates a volatile region.

Rubio’s comments come amid a flurry of diplomatic activity. Cuba has blasted Rubio over national security claims, accusing him of pushing for war, while critics at home question the administration’s strategy. The secretary’s insistence that progress is being made, paired with Trump’s bellicose rhetoric, leaves the path forward uncertain.