Democratic National Committee Chair Ken Martin on Thursday released an internal autopsy report examining the party's defeat in the 2024 presidential election, but he made clear he does not stand behind its conclusions. The move came after Martin faced fierce criticism for initially refusing to make the document public following former Vice President Kamala Harris's loss to President Donald Trump.

In a lengthy statement accompanying the release, Martin acknowledged the report's shortcomings. “When I received the report late last year, it wasn’t ready for primetime. Not even close,” he wrote, explaining that he had held back publication to avoid distracting from Democratic wins in 2025. “And because no source material was provided, fixing it would have meant starting over, from the beginning — every conversation, every interview, every data set.”

Read also
Politics
Lander Takes Commanding Lead Over Goldman in NYC House Primary Poll
Brad Lander holds a 33-point lead over incumbent Rep. Dan Goldman in the Democratic primary for New York's 10th District, according to an Emerson College/PIX 11 poll, with 20% undecided.

The chair’s decision to release the document marks a sharp reversal. He had earlier told party insiders he would not share the autopsy, sparking internal unrest and accusations of a cover-up. The report, commissioned after Trump’s victory, was meant to identify strategic failures, but Martin says it lacks the rigor needed for a credible postmortem.

“I am not proud of this product; it does not meet my standards, and it won’t meet your standards,” Martin said. “I don’t endorse what’s in this report, or what’s left out of it. I could not in good faith put the DNC’s stamp of approval on it. But transparency is paramount. So, today I am releasing the report as I received it — in its entirety, unedited and unabridged — with annotations for claims that couldn’t be verified.”

The document itself carries a disclaimer that distances the party from its contents. “This document reflects the views of the author, not the DNC,” it states. “The DNC was not provided with the underlying sourcing, interviews, or supporting data for many of the assertions contained herein and therefore cannot independently verify the claims presented.”

The controversy over the autopsy comes as Democrats grapple with broader questions about their electoral strategy. The party’s 2024 defeat has fueled debates over messaging, coalition-building, and the influence of tech-driven distortion on democratic trust, as warned by a former official. Meanwhile, some state-level races have offered bright spots, such as Bottoms securing the Democratic nomination in Georgia’s governor race and Booker winning the Kentucky Senate primary.

Martin’s decision to release the report may help quell internal dissent, but it also exposes the party to public scrutiny of its internal divisions. The lack of verified data and the chair’s explicit disavowal raise questions about whether the autopsy will serve as a useful tool for rebuilding or simply deepen existing fractures.

As the DNC looks ahead to 2028, with figures like Newsom already being tapped as a front-runner by some, the party must decide how to handle these internal debates. The release of an unendorsed report may be a temporary fix, but it underscores the challenge of turning post-election analysis into actionable reform.