Rock legend Bruce Springsteen used his appearance on Stephen Colbert's late-night show to launch sharp critiques at President Trump and Paramount's billionaire owners, Larry and David Ellison, in what became a defiant farewell to the embattled host.

Springsteen, appearing on the second-to-last episode of The Late Show, didn't hold back after Colbert introduced him. He accused the Ellisons of kowtowing to Trump and labeled them “small-minded people” who don't grasp American freedoms. “I am here in support tonight of Stephen because you’re the first guy in America who’s lost his show because we got a president who can’t take a joke,” Springsteen said. He added that the Ellisons “feel they need to kiss his a-- to get what they want.”

Read also
Politics
Veasey Becomes First House Democrat to Call for DNC Chair Martin's Resignation
Rep. Marc Veasey (D-TX) urged DNC Chair Ken Martin to step down on Thursday, citing a botched election autopsy and no clear strategy for 2026.

The musician then launched into “Streets of Minneapolis,” an anti-Trump administration track he released earlier this year, cementing the political tone of the night.

CBS announced last summer that it would cancel The Late Show, a decision the network framed as purely financial. “This is purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night. It is not related in any way to the show’s performance, content or other matters happening at Paramount,” a network statement said. The show is set to end its run in May 2026, with Colbert's final episode airing Thursday.

The Ellisons, a father-son duo with deep ties to Trump, have been overhauling CBS's news division and pushing for a more politically “diverse” editorial strategy. Their influence has drawn scrutiny as the network navigates leadership changes and shifting audience expectations.

White House spokesperson Davis Ingle fired back, calling Colbert a “pathetic trainwreck with no talent and terrible ratings” and linking to a previous Trump Truth Social post attacking Springsteen.

The clash highlights the broader tensions between the Trump administration and media figures who have been vocal critics. As Trump continues to reshape federal policies—from rolling back Biden-era refrigerant rules to tapping a new Pentagon budget chief—the battle over late-night commentary underscores the polarized media landscape.

The Hill has reached out to Paramount for comment. Colbert's version of The Late Show first aired in 2015.