Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty announced Monday that an arrest warrant has been issued for Christian Castro, a 52-year-old Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer accused of shooting a Venezuelan immigrant in Minneapolis in January. The incident occurred during the height of “Operation Metro Surge,” a federal immigration enforcement push that has sparked controversy across the state.
Castro faces four counts of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon and one count of falsely reporting a crime, Moriarty said at a press conference. The charges stem from the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, who was struck in the leg. According to Moriarty, the bullet “went through the door of a home with many people, including children, inside, while fortunately missing several others.”
The shooting came just one week after another ICE officer fatally shot Renee Good, an incident that fueled protests against federal immigration enforcement in Minnesota and nationwide. The protests intensified after a third ICE officer killed Alex Pretti in Minneapolis. Neither officer involved in those deaths has been charged, Moriarty noted.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) initially described the Jan. 14 events differently. Former DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement that the “subject fled the scene in his vehicle and crashed into a parked car” before fleeing on foot. She claimed that two other people ambushed the officer and the subject, prompting Castro to fire a “defensive shot to defend his life.” However, Moriarty said that accounts from ICE officers and eyewitnesses did not align, leading to the investigation and charges.
“His federal badge does not make him immune from state charges for his criminal conduct in Minnesota,” Moriarty declared. She added that while her office does not know Castro’s current whereabouts, “mechanisms” are in place to locate him. The Hill has reached out to DHS for comment on the charges.
This is the second time an ICE officer involved in Operation Metro Surge has been charged. Last month, Gregory Donnell Morgan Jr. was charged with two counts of second-degree assault for allegedly pointing a weapon at drivers while returning to the Whipple Federal Building, according to the Minnesota Star Tribune.
Moriarty acknowledged that the case against Castro is unlikely to conclude before her term ends in 2027. Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, who also addressed reporters, pledged continuity. “I’ll simply say that we’re committed to the final resolution to this matter on the basis of justice,” Ellison said. “She doesn’t have to fear that we’re not going to carry on.”
The charges underscore tensions around federal immigration enforcement in Minnesota, a state that has seen high-profile incidents during Operation Metro Surge. The case also highlights broader debates about accountability for federal officers, as seen in recent controversies over domestic violence and mass shootings that have prompted scrutiny of law enforcement practices.
