Three people were killed in a shooting Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the largest mosque in San Diego County. Police confirmed the two suspects, both teenagers, were found dead in a vehicle nearby from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Police Chief Scott Wahl described a chaotic sequence of events that unfolded across multiple crime scenes in the Clairemont neighborhood, a busy residential area near Interstate 805. The first call reporting an active shooter at the mosque came in at 11:43 a.m., and officers arrived within four minutes, Wahl said. They found three victims fatally shot outside the Islamic Center. The FBI identified all three as adult men; one was a security guard working at the site.

Read also
Politics
Texas AG Paxton Opens Probe Into SPLC Over Alleged Extremist Funding
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has launched an investigation into the SPLC over claims it secretly funded extremist groups it claims to oppose, citing a federal indictment.

Simultaneously, police received reports of additional gunfire a few blocks away. Responding officers found a landscaper who had been shot at but was not hit, Wahl said. Tracking the suspects, police located them dead in a vehicle. Both were teenagers, according to the FBI, and appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

The motive remains under investigation, with the FBI assisting local law enforcement. Given that the victims were targeted at a mosque, Wahl stated, “we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not.” This mirrors broader concerns about domestic violence and mass shootings, as experts have noted that domestic violence drives nearly half of U.S. mass shootings.

A heavy police and SWAT presence, along with fire and medic crews, gathered outside the Islamic Center shortly after noon. Children from nearby schools were evacuated as police established a perimeter. “In 28 years this is the most dynamic and impressive response that I have ever seen in policing,” Wahl said.

San Diego police urged the public to avoid the area. Five schools in the San Diego Unified district were placed on lockdown. A school at the Islamic Center was evacuated, and no students were harmed.

Mayor Todd Gloria posted on X that he was aware of the active shooter situation and was receiving updates from law enforcement. “Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area,” he wrote.

Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he was being briefed. “We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on X.

The Islamic Center of San Diego, located in the Clairemont neighborhood near Interstate 805, is the county’s largest mosque. Its campus includes the Al Rashid School, offering courses in Arabic, Islamic studies, and the Quran. The center’s mission includes serving the Muslim population and working with the broader community on social causes. Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque collaborates with other faiths.

This incident adds to a troubling pattern of violence at places of worship. In a separate case, the family of a victim in the FSU shooting has sued OpenAI, alleging ChatGPT aided the gunman. The investigation into the San Diego shooting continues.