President Trump on Friday defended his decision to temporarily suspend higher tariffs on imported ground beef, arguing that the move is necessary to lower consumer prices and that it aligns with public sentiment.
“We want to get the beef prices down so we will get them down a little bit,” Trump told reporters before departing Joint Base Andrews for South Carolina. “That’s what people want, that’s what the voters want, and that’s what I want.”
The president’s remarks came hours after he announced via social media that he would lift certain tariffs on ground beef imports for 90 days, allowing up to 300,000 metric tons of product to enter the U.S. market. He also claimed that a deal is in the works to lower ground beef prices by 25 percent below current market levels, though he declined to specify which countries would supply the beef.
“There are a few countries but they’re going to be sending in the highest quality beef and it’s something that we need,” Trump said when pressed for details.
Ranchers and GOP lawmakers push back
The announcement drew immediate criticism from cattle ranchers and Republican lawmakers, who argue that flooding the market with foreign beef undercuts domestic producers and undermines long-term efforts to rebuild the U.S. cattle herd.
Colin Woodall, CEO of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, expressed disappointment, stating, “While America’s cattle producers share the goal of keeping groceries affordable for consumers, flooding the market with government-subsidized, below-market beef is not the way to rebuild the American cattle herd.” He noted that cattle markets had already turned sharply lower, harming farmers and ranchers.
Woodall also highlighted the timing, saying that this is a critical period for producers making herd decisions, and that the announcement throws “cold water” on expansion plans.
Meriwether Farms, a Wyoming-based cattle operation, called the president’s actions a “betrayal” on social media. Sen. Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) said she was “extremely disappointed,” adding, “We all want lower grocery prices, but as I’ve said for months, we cannot do it at the expense of American producers.”
Trump, however, pushed back on the criticism, praising ranchers while insisting that the move is necessary. “The ranchers are great. They are my people. I love the ranchers; they’ve done a fantastic job,” he said. “But they admit that we need a little help in order to get the prices down, so that is what we’re doing.”
The controversy comes as Trump continues to face scrutiny over his trade policies, with some GOP ranchers slamming the tariff pause and even conservative lawmakers like Massie and Greene rebuking the plan. The move also adds to a broader debate over tariffs and their impact on domestic industries, a theme Vance has been pushing in Ohio.
As the 90-day suspension takes effect, the administration is expected to face continued pressure from agricultural stakeholders and lawmakers who worry about the long-term consequences for the cattle industry.
