The U.S. Navy is reportedly weighing a proposal to strip the name of Pearl Harbor hero Doris Miller from one of its next aircraft carriers and replace it with President Donald Trump's name, according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

The future Gerald R. Ford-class carrier, currently designated CVN-81, was named in January 2020 in honor of Miller, a mess attendant who became the first Black American to receive the Navy Cross for his bravery during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The naming was hailed as historic, marking the first time a U.S. aircraft carrier bore the name of a Black American or an enlisted sailor for valor in combat.

Read also
Defense
Pentagon reports 756 U.S. troops wounded in Iran conflict
The Pentagon's latest casualty count shows 756 U.S. troops wounded in the Iran conflict, with 50 new injuries added this week, as Trump announces an unprecedented economic offensive.

CNN, citing anonymous sources, reported that the Navy has been discussing the renaming for months, with the ship increasingly referred to internally by its hull number, CVN-81, rather than its namesake. Trump's name is said to be among those under consideration, though no formal decision has been announced.

Miller's family told CNN they were not informed in advance about the possibility of his name being removed, a development that has sparked outrage among veterans groups and civil rights advocates. The family has called on the Navy to preserve Miller's legacy, which they say is an inspiration to generations of service members.

Doris Miller, born in Waco, Texas, in 1919, joined the Navy in 1939. On Dec. 7, 1941, while stationed aboard the USS West Virginia, he helped evacuate wounded sailors and then manned an anti-aircraft gun, despite having no formal training, firing at Japanese planes until his ammunition ran out. His actions earned him the Navy Cross, presented by Admiral Chester Nimitz in 1942.

Miller was killed in action in November 1943 when the USS Liscome Bay was torpedoed and sunk during operations in the Pacific. He was previously honored with a Knox-class frigate, the USS Miller, which served from 1973 to 1991.

The potential renaming comes amid a broader pattern of controversial Navy directives under the Trump administration, raising questions about the politicization of military honors. Critics argue that removing Miller's name would be a slight to the contributions of Black service members and a break with tradition.

In January 2020, then-Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly defended the original naming, saying it honored not only Miller but also the contributions of all enlisted sailors. “In selecting this name, we honor the contributions of all our enlisted ranks, past and present, men and women, of every race, religion and background,” Modly said at the ceremony.

The Navy's Office of Information declined to comment, saying they had nothing to share at this time. Official Navy records still list CVN-81 as the future USS Doris Miller.

The story has drawn sharp reactions on Capitol Hill, with some lawmakers calling for hearings to examine the decision-making process. The move also comes as Trump has been campaigning for allies in key primaries, and his supporters have often pushed for honors recognizing his presidency.

If the renaming proceeds, it would be a rare reversal of a ceremonial designation, and it would likely ignite a legal and political battle. Miller's family has vowed to fight the change, and advocacy groups are preparing to lobby Congress to block any such move.