Tom Barrack, President Trump's ambassador to Turkey and special envoy for Syria and Iraq, sharply criticized Israeli air strikes on a Syrian air base on Tuesday, calling them an "unnecessary escalation" that undermines regional stability.

According to Syria's state-run Ekhbariya news outlet, Israel conducted eight strikes targeting the runway and storage facilities at the Abu al-Duhur base. Both a military official and a civilian in the vicinity reported no casualties, as relayed by Reuters.

Read also
Defense
Trump's carrier redesign push risks costly delays, experts warn
President Trump's push to redesign Ford-class aircraft carriers, including a return to steam catapults and moving the island, could raise costs and delay construction, experts warn.

In a post on X, Barrack said, "We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability." He noted that the government of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa has not adopted a predatory posture or maintained proxy forces, and has repeatedly signaled a preference for de-escalation with Israel.

Barrack announced that the United States will host future discussions aimed at fostering "diplomatic cadence over kinetic frustration" through "de-escalation agreements" between Syria and Israel. He emphasized that Washington believes "restraint and engagement offer the more constructive course," urging all parties to prioritize "logical discourse over further military incidents."

Syrian Foreign Minister Assad al-Shibani called for an end to the strikes, asserting they lack security justifications. "We will continue in our diplomatic path to dissuade Israel from this policy and to force it to stop its attacks on Syria," he said at a press conference, according to Reuters.

The Abu al-Duhur base has been out of service since 2013, after changing hands during clashes between forces loyal to former President Bashar al-Assad and Syrian rebels. The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that foreign fighters had sheltered at the base before being asked to leave, and sources indicated Turkey has been working to rehabilitate it.

Israel has also struck other parts of Syria under al-Assad's rule and seized territory in the southwest. Last year, Israeli drone strikes in Damascus killed eight Syrian soldiers, which Syria's Foreign Ministry described as "a grave violation of international law."

Syria's new leadership has sought a security agreement with Israel, while Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz has warned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Israel will not allow Syria to bolster its military capabilities, claiming they would pose a threat. Israel and Turkey maintain a communication channel to avoid military incidents while both operate in Syria.

The strike comes amid heightened tensions in the region, with the Trump administration navigating complex alliances. Barrack's remarks underscore a push for diplomatic engagement over military confrontation, a stance that may test relations with Israel.