Five journalists and two military escorts were briefly detained at gunpoint by Space Force security officers at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California on Monday, according to local media reports. The incident occurred just before an invitation-only groundbreaking ceremony for a new missile operator training facility, and the journalists were there to cover the event.

The reporters, from KEYT, Noozhawk, KSBY-TV, and the Santa Maria Times, had been cleared to enter the base and were following a government minivan driven by public affairs staff when security forces stopped them, ordered them out of their vehicles, and held them at gunpoint. One security member reportedly raised an alert about "gate runners," prompting the detention and the raising of metal barricades.

Read also
Defense
Senate Democrats Question Hegseth Over Stars and Stripes Leadership Shakeup
Sens. Blumenthal, Warren, and Shaheen pressed Hegseth on the Pentagon's appointment of an active-duty Navy captain at Stars and Stripes, raising concerns about the paper's editorial independence.

The journalists were told to sit on a curb while the two military escorts were handcuffed and placed in base vehicles. The ordeal lasted more than 30 minutes, causing the media members to miss the ceremony they were invited to cover. All were eventually released without further action.

Space Launch Delta 30 Public Affairs described the incident as a "breakdown in communication." In a statement to local outlets, they said, "Vandenberg Space Force Base is experiencing an increased number of unauthorized entry attempts. Every potential unauthorized presence must be treated as a legitimate threat until proven otherwise." They added, "While we recognize this may have been unsettling, the security of the base and its personnel is our priority."

Tom Bolton, Noozhawk's editor in chief, said Wednesday that while his organization respects the military's need for security, "clearly what occurred was unfortunate and unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, as firearms were drawn." He added that it "appears some members of the Vandenberg security team are seriously in need of additional training," and called the incident "a failure on multiple levels, and the base owes apologies to the affected journalists. The military's response certainly was lacking."

The incident highlights the heightened security posture at military installations, which have seen an increase in unauthorized entry attempts in recent years. The military has emphasized that all potential threats must be treated seriously, but critics argue that such measures should not come at the expense of press freedom or basic safety.

This is not the first time that security protocols have clashed with media access. In 2020, a similar incident occurred at a different installation, and the Pentagon has faced ongoing criticism for its handling of press access during sensitive operations. The Vandenberg incident is likely to fuel further debate about the balance between security and transparency.

Local officials have called for a full review of the incident and for improved training for security personnel. The base has not yet announced any disciplinary actions, but the public affairs office said they are cooperating with the affected media outlets to prevent future occurrences.

For now, the journalists and their organizations are left to wonder how such a routine escort could escalate so dramatically. As Bolton noted, "This was a failure on multiple levels," and the military's response "certainly was lacking."