House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) on Monday pressed the Trump administration to pressure Israel into shielding Palestinian civilians from what he described as violent settler attacks in the West Bank. In a post on X, Jeffries condemned the ongoing blockade of Palestinian homes by "lawbreaking settlers," declaring, "Enough." He demanded that the administration "compel the Israeli government to protect the lives, property and livelihood of innocent Palestinian civilians."

The call comes as Jeffries, who has faced criticism from progressive lawmakers and activists over his handling of the Israel-Hamas conflict, continues to navigate a delicate political balance. Since the war erupted, he has been urged to push for more humanitarian aid into Gaza and to more forcefully denounce Israeli military operations there. Last month, he joined 100 House Democrats in voting against a standalone aid package for Israel.

Read also
Politics
Greene Says MAGA Gear Has Vanished, Escalating Feud with Trump
Marjorie Taylor Greene joked she can't recall the last time she saw a MAGA hat, signaling her break with Trump as she criticizes his presidency.

Violence in the West Bank has surged in recent weeks, with settlers launching a series of assaults on Palestinian communities. The escalation follows a broader uptick in unrest since the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attack on Israel. According to Al Jazeera, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government has accelerated settlement expansion since 2022, fueling tensions.

U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, a vocal supporter of Netanyahu and Israeli settlements, broke ranks last week by condemning the settler attacks on the village of Qusra, near Nablus. He labeled the perpetrators "Israeli terrorists." The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) said it had entered Qusra to dismantle two illegal outposts, responding to a weeklong settler siege that cut off roads to three homes, erected tents in front yards, and blocked entry and exit. Settlers had also severed electricity and water supplies, according to Reuters.

The State Department has condemned the violence, with a spokesperson reiterating that the department remains aligned with the Trump administration's goal of regional peace and is in regular contact with partners to improve stability and security in the West Bank.

Meanwhile, diplomatic efforts continue. An Israeli official told The Hill that special envoy Jared Kushner met with Netanyahu after reported talks with Hamas about advancing President Trump's Gaza peace plan. Trump established the Gaza Board of Peace, an international body aimed at reconstructing the enclave following years of Israeli bombardments that have killed over 73,000 Palestinians, even after a ceasefire was reached last October.

Netanyahu, however, rejected a 15-point U.S. plan for Hamas to disarm and Israel to withdraw from Gaza, insisting that Israel will not leave until Hamas militants surrender their weapons. The standoff leaves the region in a precarious state, with Jeffries' plea adding to mounting international pressure on the administration to take a firmer stance on settler violence.

The political dynamics are further complicated by Trump's sinking approval ratings amid broader foreign policy crises, and his administration's mixed signals on Israel. As the situation evolves, Jeffries' remarks highlight a growing bipartisan concern over the treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank, even as the White House seeks to balance its support for Israel with its stated peace objectives.